Friday, February 3, 2012

The Best Advice You'll Ever Need. (Almost)



"You know what to do in an avalanche, right?"


asked my friend Andrea, who adventurously completes me. We snowshoed up a mountain yesterday which had some bona fide, perpendicular-like inclines, hence the question.


Before I could respond--because I am thinking the avalanche could happen before I respond--Andrea convincingly followed up with "Swim."    


Swim?      


I seriously could not stop thinking about it. In fact, I am still thinking about it. Not the avalanche part, but the swim part. 


I am convinced "swim" could be the answer to just about every quandary (almost). Because if you are not swimming, you are drowning or treading at best. At least with swimming, you are bound to go somewhere and you are bound to need a Lifeguard. I like that.   


Am I on to something? Maybe. 


Let's take it further.


A wise swimmer has the Lifeguard nearby, one who is unceasingly there to save you. Should you get in over your head, or if you become tired, worn out, and burned out, the Lifeguard will protect you from drowning. Or, if you are the rebellious type and don't "follow the rules", He will help you any way. Over and over and over again.


A wise swimmer also never swims alone. Everyone needs a swim buddy. Through your swimming, they are there for encouragement, for listening, for hugging, for laughing, and for interrupting loneliness.


We were not created to swim alone. 


Now I know I am on to something. (Thanks Andrea!)


Grateful for my Lifeguard and swimming buddies,
L.






No comments:

Post a Comment