Thursday, February 16, 2012

Forgiveness



I am crazy about this coin purse. At first it doled out inspiration to be brave and "get out of the cage" and start writing.  This week, however, it is a visual of a bird who is set free, who is not locked in a cage anymore.  


I live with someone who struggles with forgiveness, her name rhymes with Bolivia. :)


Not meaning to pick on her, I know forgiving someone IS hard. I have lived both "in the cage" of unforgiveness and now, "out of the cage", as one who, with God's help and strength, can forgive. I desperately wish for my sweet girl a freedom, joy and peace that surpasses all understanding that only true forgiveness brings. I don't want her locked in the cage any more.  
"To forgive is to set a prisoner free and to discover that the prisoner was you."     Louis B. Smedes

The truth is we live in a broken, messy and unfair world.  We WILL get hurt and we WILL be treated unfairly. 


I have learned our level of forgiveness will determine our level of joy and peace. Forgiving little equals little joy and peace. Forgiving much equals much joy and peace. The quicker I forgive, the quicker I am filled with joy and peace. I have also learned it is a command from our Creator, Colossians 3:13. 


And... didn't He forgive us?


Praying that my sweet girl obsesses not about how hurt she is, but rather about how amazing God is who gives us strength to forgive.  


Thanks for reading,
L.















No comments:

Post a Comment