Saturday, March 3, 2012

Never Alone - Adopted Twice




"Is it true, are you my fake mom?" 
                                                proposed my daughter with tears in her eyes.


(A well-meaning friend of hers had innocently implied I was her "fake" mom.)  


Holding her tight, I cried back, "No baby. It's not true at all. I am your real mom. You are mine forever and ever." 


After being together seven of her ten years, I confess I felt surprised she needed to ask and that she still needed, in my mind, assurance of what appeared like a simple answer.  


Two days later, a friend completely unaware of my daughter's question, said she had been given a Bible verse for Olivia:
"My father and mother walked out and left me, but God took me in." (Ps.27:10 The Message)
I could hardly believe my eyes. He knows. He loves her. He's got this.  

The whole story is, we are all adopted. Ponder these excerpts from Ephesians 1:4-5 (NLT, emphasis mine):
"Even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us...God decided in advance to adopt us into His own family...this is what He wanted to do, and it gave Him great pleasure."
My prayer for my daughter is that she will embrace the truth that, in fact, she has not been adopted once, but she has been adopted twice.

May we all be assured that we are loved, chosen, and adopted by our heavenly Father. 

I'll end with this description of adoption which I very much like:
"We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within our hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands." (Author unknown, emphasis mine)

Thanks for reading,
L.










1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, Leslie, for all of us who have been adopted by God (and who have adopted little ones into our families as well). I am very grateful, indeed, that "He's got this."

    ReplyDelete