Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fear EXPOSED

Cowardly Lion: All right, I'll go in there for Dorothy. Wicked Witch or no Wicked Witch, guards or no guards, I'll tear them apart. I may not come out alive, but I'm going in there. There's only one thing I want you fellows to do.
Tin WoodsmanScarecrow: What's that?
Cowardly Lion: Talk me out of it!



What is something you would do if you were not afraid? 


It doesn't matter if it's little or big, nonsensical or important, there are no rules here. 


Maybe you would start writing. Maybe you would go to a third-world country. Maybe you would go back to school. Maybe you would start your own business. Maybe you would switch jobs. Maybe you would try a new sport. Maybe you would sing louder.


This is what I think about fear: fear is a fallacious attempt to persuade us to not do something which will be completely wonderful.  


Mentioned more than any other command in all of Scripture is some derivative of "do not fear" and "do not be afraid". 


Also, more good news, fear is NOT from God:
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."                                2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)
So, what's with fear any way? We tend to hold ourselves back from doing things because we are afraid to fail, "What if I fail, what will people think of me?" Note to self, so what and who cares?  


Here is what I have learned: Fear and fail are nothing but naughty, four letter, F-words!  That's right, I said it.  


God's alternative to fear?


Courage. Courage is where risk and bravery meet and birth something completely wonderful.  


Without courage from the Father, I would not have adopted China's cutest, little girl.  I would not have returned to college with three children. I would not have started this blog. Without courage I would not have gone to Africa. Twice. 


Let us use that spirit of power, love and sound mind that the good Lord has given us today and tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. 


Completely wonderful things await us.  


Cowardly Lion: Read what my medal says: "Courage". Ain't it the truth? Ain't it the truth?


Thanks for reading,
L. 










2 comments:

  1. Very cool post... I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of your blog!

    I'm inspired by this quote: "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." Joseph Chilton Pearce

    I think this is so true of living the life God has called us to. Keep sharing the amazing things that He lays on your heart!

    xo Danielle Mangelsdorf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, HI! Thank you SO MUCH for your encouragement and support. It means SO SO much, especially coming from you...a creative and faithful soul. I am going to steal that quote this minute! :) Big hugs, L. I MISS YOU! Can we have tea soon?

      Delete