Monday, August 13, 2012

Crazy Easy Blueberry Hemp Crisp (Vegan)

Before:



After: 


Not only is this recipe crazy easy, it is also crazy delicious! With the capacious amount of blueberries my neighbor blessed me with, I couldn't experiment fast enough. In one word, success! You won't be disappointed. 

Ingredients:
1/2 lemon
4-5 cups of fresh blueberries
3/4 cup of flour (I like spelt)
1/4 cup of oats
1/2 cup of sugar (I use coconut palm sugar)
1 to 2 tablespoon of hemp seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (Vietnamese is my all-time fave)
5 tablespoons of vegan butter, cubed (Earth Balance is perfect)
1 tablespoon of oil (canola or grapeseed oil work well)

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an eight inch square baking dish.
  2. Pour blueberries into dish and squeeze lemon juice over berries.
  3. Place the flour, oats, sugar, hemp seeds, cinnamon, butter and oil in a food processor and pulse a few times until crumbly. Pour over berries and spread out evenly. 
  4. Bake 25 minutes. The top should be golden and like any berry dish, the berries should be bubbling.
It's THAT easy. 

I love that you don't cook the berries ahead of time. I love that you don't add sweetener to the blueberries. I love that I can have it "farm to table" in about 30 minutes.



Just one more thing before I leave you to your baking. For those who can't/don't eat dairy or refined sugar, "ice cream" seems inconceivable. Look no further. 


Luna & Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss is sublime. It's low glycemic, vegan, gluten-free, as well as free of soy. In essence, it's heaven in a small container. (Purchased at New Seasons Market.) The Ginger Cookie Caramel was fantastic with the crisp. Blueberries + ginger = nummylicious!  

Thanks for reading,
L.

2 comments:

  1. What a yummy treat, I'm so going to try it sometime this week! Thanks, Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a keeper. I also tried it with peaches, scrumptious! I bet it is divine with apples, pears and other berries. Well, I'll just have to be sure. Off to the kitchen....

      P.S. You can use regular sugar or butter too. :) Hemp seeds are optional.

      Delete